Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What I Want: Significant Other Edition



I've been thinking a lot lately about my boundaries. And the more I think and write down, the closer I think I'm getting to getting back in touch with myself a little better.

"The secret to a good, lasting relationship is not simply finding the right person...It's being the right person."

That includes a good relationship with myself.



I was thinking about writing a post about what I wanted in a partner...And realized it was the perfect opportunity to also turn that into a post about what kind of partner I wanted to be...both to myself and others.

So here's my list:

I Want a Partner/ I Want to be a Partner Who...



Gives full respect to their other half.

Has let go of the past and is ready for a bright new future.


Apologizes for mistakes


Can look past my skin and flaws and see my heart.


Cares about my health and theirs.


Doesn't do hard drugs


Reminds me/reminds my partner of my/their potential when I/they lose sight of it.



Helps me keep my goals and promises to myself, as I will help him.


Will accept me in sickness or health- emotionally or physically, as I will them.


Uses self control- sexually and with substances



Is turned on by our emotional connection/love, first and foremost


Gives amazing hugs





Respects physical boundaries


Communicates as openly as possible


Who will make the efforts necessary to be with me, as I will with him


Will work hard to maintain the healthiest relationship possible


Will be patient with me as I learn and grow, as I will with him.


Doesn't care about how "manly", powerful, or wealthy he seems to others, and I want to be a partner who doesn't care too much about my own appearance.


Who is mature enough for/ willing to make a serious commitment.


Loves me, as I will love them.


A man who has those qualities is a man I would feel safe loving, (Though real love loves regardless of expectations and lists). And I want to be someone that others are not afraid to love.

Curly hair and smoldering, dark eyes that twinkle would be a nice bonus.


I may add more to this list later, and I know this has little to do with my skin...or it could have much to do with my skin...but mostly, this list is for me- a reminder of what I want and deserve....Which, really, is what everyone wants and deserves more or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment