Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Remembering to Take Care



I am a forgetful person. Sometimes, I genuinely feel like I can't recall the events of my life up to the present moment. I have moments, hours, sometimes a full day, where I feel like I have to contemplate and remind myself of who I am, what I'm like, and what normal is for me. Maybe that's part of what helps make me resilient.

There are times I feel jolted awake, and suddenly wonder- what have I been doing this whole time? What have I been thinking? How did I get here.

The most significant example I can offer is remembering to take care of myself. What have I been thinking this whole time? Why didn't I notice a problem with my picking sooner? Why haven't I taken more action...SERIOUS action to remedy the situation? Why do I forget basic facts? Like that diet, sleep, and drinking water all effect my skin and could help prevent breakouts, and thus make not picking a little easier? I sometimes forget that showering exists for a couple of days. I forget normal things like flossing and shaving and tweezing my eyebrows, and yet I'm consumed, SO CONSUMED with how my skin looks, which is not so normal in comparison.

My focus is off.

Taking care of my skin is good on some level, but my skin is one small part of me. And I need to stop neglecting the others.













(The only thing I would change about the above picture would be to change "this month I promise" to "every day I will do my best")




When you love something, you take good care of it. And I've been doing a poor job.

Hair, I love you.
Skin, I love you.
Eyes, nose, ears, mouth, I love you.
Hands, fingers, toes, feet, back, booty,  breasts, muscles, heart, legs, arms teeth, tongue, tummy.....everything. I love it all and need to remember to take care of all of me.

Maybe you do too.

Because loving yourself is more than just an emotion. It's an action. And actions must be practiced.









Maybe think about it while you sip your morning coffee.















Maybe just stop in the middle of bashing yourself, or picking yourself, and remember that you are a beautiful human being.


We are more than skin. We are more than the magnifying-glass eyes and razor sharp claws of Dermatillomania.

We are travellers on the highway to healing...and even when we come across a flat tire or break down on the side of the road, every day we are closer to our destination.




No comments:

Post a Comment