Sunday, January 26, 2014

Resilient

These days, I am able to say "No" much faster.
And when I say it, I'm more able to stick to it.
It's not just a matter of willingness.
The ability grows little by little, like a muscle.
Like anyone with an addiction or impulse control disorder, I will mess up.
Sometimes the muscle gets pulled and I can't use it so well for a couple of days.
But it always gets better.
I'm coming to some very silly realizations.
Did you know, that when you leave your skin alone, it heals?
It seems so obvious, yet I feel like I'm just discovering this.
Did you know that when you leave pimples alone, sometimes they go away much faster than they would if you had interfered?That if you leave a scab alone, sometimes it takes only 2 days for it to go away?
And even if you don't, it still finds a way to patch itself up.
I'm baffled by such resilience. 
And baffled again when I realize that I too am just as resilient.
Why didn't they teach a skin class in high school...about how amazing it is...
About how fabulous is it that our skin forgives us and heals, no matter how we seem to screw it over?
Yet when observing someone with Dermatillomania, I often find that they too seem to get screwed over often and forgive just the same.
We are a lot like our skin;
We heal.
Sometimes faster or slower depending on the circumstances,
But we still find a way.



No comments:

Post a Comment