Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Honey-Nut Cheerio Life

I don't normally make resolutions for the new year, but with a new school year (for me), a new month, new health insurance, a new major for college (very soon), and a new year all starting at the same time, something inside me feels like writing down all of my goals for a better life. And I think they are good goals for others to think about as well:

I Endeavor To:


Pick myself up out of this rut of depression, and remember how to be myself.


Leave the past behind, and those who belong with it.


Continue on my journey to healthy skin (and the healthy mind that goes with it).


Go for more meditative walks like I used to.


Keep my grades high.


Continue to make my business grow.


Make my creativity and zest for life flourish again.


Have a healthy relationship (if anyone happens to come along).


Cast anyone out of my life who treats me poorly, refuses to stop hurting me, puts me down rather than uplifting me, or proves themselves unworthy of a position in my life.


Reward those who have been there for me and supported me with all of the kindness and love I have to offer.

Live a Honey-Nut Cheerio kind of life: Be happy, be healthy.



 (I actually don't like Cheerios that much. I just wanted to steal their slogan for my post. Oatmeal with honey is much better for you. Just sayin'.)



*****

With the help of the internet and my own thoughts/experiences, I've created a list of things I think contribute to a happy and healthy life:

Get enough sleep: It helps keep you healthy and in a pleasant mood. 8-10 hours is the normal range.
I recommend going all-out with your bedtime routine to ensure good sleep. Make sure your bed is the right firmness and your room has a slightly cooler temperature so that you're just right when you snuggle up under your blankets.Maybe have a beverage by your bedside- cool water or warm tea. Make sure your sleep environment's noise level is to your liking. I like sleeping with a box fan in my room the best, because the sound and air-flow help lull me to sleep. Hop in bed an hour or half hour before you actually need to sleep, as it will help relax you and ease you into slumber. Maybe wind down by reading a book or listening to soft music.


Eat healthy: I've personally experienced that healthier foods lead me to be more energetic. Having more natural foods and less processed ones will also help you avoid stomachaches and digestion problems, which can also effect the mood.






Drink lots of water:
I'm sure any of my fellow Derma friends know that drinking lots of water is good for both keeping clear skin and helping heal your skin as well. It also helps with digestion and proper function of organs and body systems. You are, after all, over 50% water (the true percentage is debatable), so keeping hydrated is important.






Exercise: Physical activity helps to keep you feeling strong and happy, especially when done regularly. My personal favorite form of exercise it to go for brisk walks on the scenic roads out on the country near my parents' house. I bring a bottle of water and my headphones, and enjoy the view of the mountains and orchards.

Treat yourself: Treat yourself the way you would want a significant other to treat you. Compliment yourself, do things for yourself, buy yourself flowers once in a while. Allow yourself a guilty pleasure like Doritos once a week (Cool Ranch flavored are the best). Take some "me time" to paint, or draw, or dance. Take a long, hot bath with bubbles. Meditate. Go for a scenic drive. Treat yourself to that nice new shirt you saw in the store window. Buy yourself a ticket to the Moody Blues concert (I went to their Timeless Flight concert in Denver. Best $60 I ever spent). Give yourself something to look forward to- a gift from you, to you.





Have true friends:  Spend some time with/ on the phone with a friend or two once in a while. But be sure they are good, supportive, and true friends, and be sure that you are good to them as well. Backstabbers will only cause you stress. Make sure that they respect your personal space, life choices, and romantic relationships and never try to interfere with them unless it's a matter of your health and well-being.





Smile and laugh: Do your best to be optimistic. Even if you're not happy, smiling has been proven to boost your mood anyhow. Watch a funny show, or look at funny pictures...anything to boost your mood.


















Practice your hobbies:
Not only will the fruits of your labor boost your mood, but creativity is a healthy way of coping with stress.


Help others: It will make everyone involved feel more positive, and boost your sense of belonging and the sense that you are needed and appreciated by others.


Avoid negative people: If a friend ifs going through a hard time and being negative, be there for them. When I say avoid negative people, it's more in the sense of avoiding people who are going to poison your life with bad habits, poor attitudes and behaviors, and unhealthy choices. If your friend is constantly criticizing you over your job, or appearance, that's a good person to avoid. If you have a friend that takes part in unhealthy activities like cheating on a spouse or breaking into cars, or constantly lying to others, keep them at an arm's length. The people you keep around you WILL rub off on you one way or another. Are the people you have around ones you want to be like? If not, they may end up swaying you in a direction you didn't want to go in. You may get caught up in their drama too. In fact, a somewhat distant but innocent friend of mine recently ended up in jail for five months for being an accomplice for a theft her friends pressured her into helping them with.




Remember the important things: Remember that life is not about numbers. It's not about how many girls you've gotten to sleep with you, or how many parties you've been to, or how many shots you can take in front of your college friends. Remember that popularity isn't important. Remember that sometimes you have to let a friend or two go to get your life in order and be with those who truly matter. Remember that words can hurt. Remember that what's inside and loving others is most important.


Keep your stress low: Take deep breaths, do yoga, meditate, read, write, listen to music, practice your hobbies. Take a moment to stop and enjoy the simple things like the sky and the stars. And when practicing your hobbies, remember that it's not about being the best, but rather about enjoying yourself. You may love to sing, but be a terrible singer, but if it's what you love, keep on going.





Be confident: Keep your self-esteem high by taking pride in your appearance and heart. Embrace yourself for who you are and what you look like, and know that it's not up to anyone else or their opinions to change that. Stick to your guns and go with your gut.


Reach for your goals and dreams: Anyone who is successful once had a time of failure.Keep your sights set on realistic goals and dreams, but know that they take work sometimes. You can't expect something from nothing.




Stay organized and on top: I don't know about you, but procrastination stresses me out. Doing things in a steady and timely fashion and keeping your workspace neat and tidy helps keeps things flowing smoothly. Feeling in control and on top of those things we are able to helps us feel a little bit better sometimes about the other factors that maybe we can't control.


Spend time in nature and get fresh air: The mountains aren't there just to be looked at. Grass doesn't exist to be mowed. Fresh air and sunshine benefit both your mood and your physical health, so get out there!





Stay true to yourself: "Never change yourself for anyone and anything. Always stay true to your beliefs. Always have your dignity. Avoid having regrets. Always be the best that you can be. Also, surround yourself with the people and things that you love."


Let music and words inspire you:Sometimes I find it helpful when dealing with a stressful situation if I can find music or a poem that makes me feel understood. Empathy is a big thing for me. Quotes and words can also be uplifting or inspire you to think differently in ways that could change your life for the better, so keep an open mind and heart.






Forget superficiality and falseness: "It doesn't do anyone any favors. Better to be hated than loved for what your not."


Love your life and make it your own: Take life and make it what you want, but understand that not everything is under your control. Know that you don't know all the answers...and that you don't have to know all the answers either! Explore, dream, discover. Be smart enough to hold on to the good and be brave enough to let go when need be. Find and create yourself. Take risks. Follow your gut. Love yourself. If you are doing your best, let that be enough. Stay strong. Give your all. Know you are beautiful/handsome. Know you are worth it. Get what you deserve and work for what you want.


Be happy, be healthy! Happy New Year!



http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Healthy-and-Happy

No comments:

Post a Comment