Sunday, October 13, 2013

Me Time



I’m trying to take it slow and be good to myself, because I know I’m not always my own best friend, which is what I need to be. A good friend spends time with you. A good friend doesn’t blow you off. A good friend keeps their word, or at least tries to. A good friend doesn’t tear you apart…whether physically or metaphorically- a good friend is kind but firm, and doesn’t rip your skin open.

So this week, when not busy with work, I’ve tried to set personal goals for myself. I’ve tried to buy healthier foods and make sure I eat enough and drink enough. I’ve also tried to show myself more positivity and support at work by not being so critical of myself, especially after my boss told me that I was "kicking ass" and "shouldn’t be so hard on myself".  I’ve been treating myself to early bedtimes and time outside in the sun during my lunch break- little things, but healthy things.

I stopped at the thrift shop on the way home from work one day and bought myself the new backpack and bra I’ve been needing for quite some time. I also bought myself a jazzy hat to help with those days when I’m running behind with getting ready for work and don't have time to do something work-appropriate with my hair.


I made a bacon braid (bacon is one of my favorite things in this world).



I watched a good movie (‘Selena’ never gets old). 

I got a rad fortune from a fortune cookie. 


I dressed in bright colors and didn’t care if it looked good (though it ended up looking fantastic). 


I made a necklace to kick-start my collection for this year’s holiday bazaars.


I’m hoping that more positivity and getting more in the habit of being kind and caring toward myself will help give me a boost toward healing

Also, I’ve come to believe that solitude can sometimes be one of the best medicines.
So today I treated myself to some time in the park near my house.
I kicked off my shoes.

I got some sun.
I took some pictures:



I wore my favorite earrings, a nice jacket, and enjoyed the fall colors.


And when I got home, I relaxed and just breathed for a while under the warmth of my favorite poncho with a cup of cocoa.

The little things can make the difference. The silver lining can blind you from seeing some of the negativity. Try to focus on the good.


I've been trying to practice being grateful for the good, rather than focusing on fixing the bad; I've come far. I'm getting better every day. What scars and scabs are left do not matter, because I'm working hard and taking steps forward, even if I take a step back from time to time.
And you know what? I haven’t really felt like I needed to scratch much today.

No comments:

Post a Comment